The International Literacy Association (ILA) Regie Routman Teacher Recognition Grant is a U.S $2,500 annual award that honors an outstanding K-8 classroom teacher dedicated to improving and enriching the teaching and learning of purposeful reading and writing across the curriculum. At least 60 percent of the school's students must qualify for free or reduced lunch. The grant may not be used for purchase of commercial programs or technology hardware.
“I created this award about twenty years ago because I wanted to recognize the work of superb teachers who might not ordinarily get wide recognition. I also wanted to make it possible for those teachers to dream big and to think creatively about how they could improve and enhance their students’ literacy lives.”
The application process requires:
- A completed application form
- A three-page (maximum) proposal about how the applicant would support, improve, enhance, and accelerate teaching and learning for students
- A one page personal statement that includes personal beliefs about teaching and learning and a professional vision for this project
- Up to 3 letters of recommendation--from an administrator, a peer, and an optional third recommendation
- A budget outline that includes a breakdown for intended use for the funds
The winner is notified by March and the grant recipient is cordially invited to attend the ILA Annual Convention and be officially recognized at the conference. For complete application guidelines and more information, see http://www.literacyworldwide.org/about-us/awards-grants/ila-regie-routman-teacher-recognition-grant. The submission deadline for the 2018 grant is January 15, 2018.